Stop Eating Fried Potatoes
Stop Eating Fried Potatoes
Mrs Jenkins went to her doctor one day, because her heart was giving her trouble.
The doctor listened to her heart carefully and did a few other things. Then he said, "Well, Mrs Jenkins, stop smoking, and then you'll soon be quite all right again. "
"But doctor," answered Mrs Jenkins quickly, "I've never smoked. I don't like smoking. "
"Oh, well," said the doctor, "then don't drink any more alcohol. "
"But I don't drink alcohol," answered Mrs Jenkins at once.
"Stop drinking tea and coffee then," the doctor said to her.
"I only drink water," answered Mrs Jenkins. "I don't like tea or coffee. "
The doctor thought for a few seconds and then said,
"Well,. . . er. . . do you like fried potatoes?"
"Yes, I like them very much," answered Mrs Jenkins.
"All right, then stop eating those," said the doctor as he got up to say goodbye to Mrs Jenkins.
Keep Him in Bed
MRS WELSH: Get up, Peter. It's late.
PETER: I can't get up , Mom. I'm ill.
MRS WELSH: What's the matter with you?
PETER: I have a headache and a bad stomachache.
MRS WELSH: You have a fever too. I'm going to call Dr Dawes. Don't get out of bed.
PETER: Oh, I can't get out of bed. I'm too ill.
MRS WELSH: Operator, give me Spring 3-2546, please. Hello, this is Mrs Welsh. Is Dr Dawesthere? Thank you. I'll wait. . . Dr Dawes, this is Mrs Welsh. Can you come tothe house , please?
DR DAWES: Who's ill?
MRS WELSH: Peter, my son.
DR DAWES: What's the matter with him?
MRS WELSH: I don't know. He has a headache, a bad stomachache and a fever.
DR DAWES: Keep him in bed.Where do you live?
MRS WELSH: We live at 44 Washington Avenue.
DR DAWES: All right, Mrs Welsh, I'll be there soon.
MRS WELSH: Thank you. Good-bye Dr Dawes.
Quiestions on TextB
7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story to your partner.
Harry is looking at a man in the street. He is talking to Jack about the man.
Harry: Who's that man with the black bag?
Jack: I can't see a man with a black bag.
Harry: He was standing at the door of that house a moment ago. Now he's walking down thestreet.
Jack: Oh, that man. I don't know who he is. He's a stranger.
Harry: Look at the man who's running after him.
Jack: Yes. Perhaps the stranger is a thief.
Harry: I don't think so.
Jack: Wait a minute. I can recognise the man who's running after him. It's Mr Green.
Harry: Now I remember. Mr Green told me yesterday that his brother was coming.
- Transfer Plans 转学计划 阅读:92 2018-02-10
- A New Car 新车 阅读:32 2017-08-02
- 学好英语的十个经典要诀 Top 10 Tips 阅读:83 2017-02-15
- 学校生活对话听力8:Doing the Right Thing 做正确的事 阅读:164 2016-03-19
- 电影：“票房”英文怎么说 阅读:63 2016-02-19
- 轻松美语：“天时地利”怎么讲 阅读:101 2016-02-19
- Expressing Concern for Someone 表达对某人的关心 阅读:60 2018-04-07
- 购物时英语常用表达方式 阅读:363 2016-02-11
- He knows most who speaks least 阅读:62 2017-08-14
- 【语音版】出去吃饭也是一场冒险 阅读:117 2016-10-26
- Conversation: 5. Detecting a Problem with the Car 阅读:51 2017-07-05
- Never too late to turn 阅读:121 2017-05-26
- On Developing Tourism,On Developing Tourism范文 阅读:35 2018-08-31
- Little Things, Big Difference 小事情，大差异 阅读:111 2018-02-20
- 英语听力的训练方法 阅读:74 2018-04-30
- Spring Thaw 阅读:51 2017-12-12
1A: I have a doctor's appointment scheduled with Dr. Smith, and Ineed to change it.B: What day did you have it sc...
Car chases in the Los Angeles area are a fairly regular occurrence. In 2013 there were over 700 car chases. Car cha...
（一）尽量先以自己熟悉的语言了解新闻内容 刚到 ICRT 国内新闻中心上班的外籍记者，虽然多半中文程度并不差，但是有时候「新闻中文」并不强，在翻译或阅读一些中文的新闻稿时，虽然可以查单字，但要完全了解整体的意思，往往有些困难。发生这样...
AGING AND PRODUCTIVITY AMONG ECONOMISTS Abstract--Economists' productivity over their careers and as measured by publ...
1.你认为自己具备了什么条件(能力、性格、爱好等)可以胜任学生会主席的工作 2.如果当选，你将为本校同学做些什么 good evening Ladies and Gentlemen: Thank you for coming ...
Content is better than riches.知足者常乐。Content is better than riches.
1A: Now I've decided to buy this car, how do I transfer the title to myself?B: Actually, your best bet is to cont...
In this competitive society it is essential to know how to sell yourself in order to get the job you want. That means...
GREat Books Sharpen Our Minds GREat books are those that contain the best materials on which the human mind can work ...
德国好声音上小女孩一开口全场都震惊了!小女孩将《I Will Always Love You》这首歌的高音轻松驾驭!真的很赞!表示评委已疯!!
A: Do you like my new bicycle?B: It looks very sporty!A: It's a racing bike. I bought it so I could be in the tri...
1. having a whale of a time 玩得非常痛快Dear mum and dad,we are a whale of a time i...
1. There are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaug...