Stop Eating Fried Potatoes
Stop Eating Fried Potatoes
Mrs Jenkins went to her doctor one day, because her heart was giving her trouble.
The doctor listened to her heart carefully and did a few other things. Then he said, "Well, Mrs Jenkins, stop smoking, and then you'll soon be quite all right again. "
"But doctor," answered Mrs Jenkins quickly, "I've never smoked. I don't like smoking. "
"Oh, well," said the doctor, "then don't drink any more alcohol. "
"But I don't drink alcohol," answered Mrs Jenkins at once.
"Stop drinking tea and coffee then," the doctor said to her.
"I only drink water," answered Mrs Jenkins. "I don't like tea or coffee. "
The doctor thought for a few seconds and then said,
"Well,. . . er. . . do you like fried potatoes?"
"Yes, I like them very much," answered Mrs Jenkins.
"All right, then stop eating those," said the doctor as he got up to say goodbye to Mrs Jenkins.
Keep Him in Bed
MRS WELSH: Get up, Peter. It's late.
PETER: I can't get up , Mom. I'm ill.
MRS WELSH: What's the matter with you?
PETER: I have a headache and a bad stomachache.
MRS WELSH: You have a fever too. I'm going to call Dr Dawes. Don't get out of bed.
PETER: Oh, I can't get out of bed. I'm too ill.
MRS WELSH: Operator, give me Spring 3-2546, please. Hello, this is Mrs Welsh. Is Dr Dawesthere? Thank you. I'll wait. . . Dr Dawes, this is Mrs Welsh. Can you come tothe house , please?
DR DAWES: Who's ill?
MRS WELSH: Peter, my son.
DR DAWES: What's the matter with him?
MRS WELSH: I don't know. He has a headache, a bad stomachache and a fever.
DR DAWES: Keep him in bed.Where do you live?
MRS WELSH: We live at 44 Washington Avenue.
DR DAWES: All right, Mrs Welsh, I'll be there soon.
MRS WELSH: Thank you. Good-bye Dr Dawes.
Quiestions on TextB
7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story to your partner.
Harry is looking at a man in the street. He is talking to Jack about the man.
Harry: Who's that man with the black bag?
Jack: I can't see a man with a black bag.
Harry: He was standing at the door of that house a moment ago. Now he's walking down thestreet.
Jack: Oh, that man. I don't know who he is. He's a stranger.
Harry: Look at the man who's running after him.
Jack: Yes. Perhaps the stranger is a thief.
Harry: I don't think so.
Jack: Wait a minute. I can recognise the man who's running after him. It's Mr Green.
Harry: Now I remember. Mr Green told me yesterday that his brother was coming.
- Shopping for Souvenirs 购买纪念品 阅读:65 2017-03-17
- 2016年十二星座运势：哪个星座发展最好？ 阅读:32 2016-10-14
- Accepting an Invitation to a Party 接受邀请参加聚会 阅读:31 2018-01-23
- Accepting Excuses for Not Meeting Commitments 接受不参加会议的借口 阅读:37 2017-04-24
- “上当了”英语怎么说？ 阅读:45 2016-10-15
- “心里乱糟糟的”用英语怎么说？ 阅读:79 2016-10-11
- 牛逼老师7分钟解读34所985名校！【附高考减压妙招】 阅读:48 2016-10-22
- “咬到舌头了”英文怎么说？ 阅读:171 2016-10-15
- 如何通过上下文猜词义 阅读:85 2017-03-20
- 英语单词“速冻食品”怎么说 阅读:130 2016-02-26
- say no to pirated products 阅读:28 2017-12-27
- 看完这15个典故，瞬间长见识了！ 阅读:64 2016-09-25
- 国庆假期用holiday 还是vacation?各种“假日”的英文表达 阅读:160 2016-11-07
- Declining Food or Drinks 拒绝食物或饮料 阅读:22 2017-05-11
- Meeting Teacher at School 在学校和老师见面 阅读:25 2016-12-18
- “有潜力”英文怎么说？ 阅读:193 2016-08-24
- 橡树和芦苇的故事，你怎么看？ 阅读:51 2016-10-22
- Early bird catches the worm 阅读:16 2018-05-09
- Trying on a New Outfit 试穿新的衣服 阅读:45 2017-09-04
- 千万别和闺蜜说这10句话，小心拉仇恨！ 阅读:44 2016-10-17
- 银行相关英语对话听力7：Transferring Money 转账 阅读:114 2016-03-20
Friends make the worst enemies. 反目的朋友才是你最可怕的敌人。 There is no solace above or b...
Everyday English:Losing Is One Way to Learn“I’m beginning to understand exactly how the state lotteryhelps education,...
一、先“恭维”后“不过”。 1. 美国人对别人的建议或忠告，多半不会马上答复。即使不想采纳，通常也会客气地说：You have a wonderful...
I’m on cloud nine.我高兴地不得了。I’m in seventh heaven.我乐翻天了。I'm over the moon.我...
情景对话： A: I knew when he had told me a sob story. 我后来才知道他说的都是假话。 B: He foo...
The Oak tree always thought that he was far stronger than the reeds.橡树认为自己比那些...
w w w.cooyu.net With the rapid development of the society, family life is becoming modernized. Years ago, people cons...
Today the quality of our natural environment has become an important issue. The world population is rising so quickly...
I don't care. *向对方表示“不要再嗦”的心情。What do you want for dinner? (晚饭你想吃什么?)I don't care. (什么都行。)Anything's fine...
1. 问题家具 problem furniture2.炫富 flaunt wealth3.决堤 breaching of the dike4.上市 lis...
A: Hello, is this Mr. Smith? I'm Mrs. Jones.B: Hello, Mrs. Jones. Did you get my message?A: Yes, I did, I'm r...
A: Did you go to the 99 Cents store?B: Yes, I did.A: What did you buy?B: Well, I got a lot of good deals, as usual.A:...